931 S. Kansas Ave.
The building housed meat markets from 1890 to 1899. With construction starting in 1888, and occupancy in 1890, the building has stood sound for the past 130 years. Architectural firm, Hopkins & Holland, designed a block of three buildings for Messrs. Handy, O’Brien & Minney – 927, 929 and 931 – some of the first buildings in the 900 Block at that time.
Numerous businesses have called 931 home over the past century – coal dealer, tinner, restaurants, print shops, banks, law firms, utility companies, gift shops and more. From 1978 to present, Stephen Smith has occupied this stone and brick building starting with a photography studio, and in October of 2018, opened a downtown fine art gallery.
Historic features are clearly exposed, displaying the fine craftsmanship of its architecture. Stone and brick walls, along with an ornate tin ceiling and transoms, add character to the intriguing appeal of the gallery’s fine art display space.
Follow Our Story on Facebook
There are no objects in this facebook feed.